Ingredients for Spinach Roll:
For the roll:
- 1 lb (450 g) spinach
- 4 free-range eggs, separated
- Salt and pepper
- Grated nutmeg
For the filling:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 oz (175 g) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ pint (150 ml) semi-skimmed or whole milk
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
Method for Spinach Roll:
- Cook the spinach in a large pan, just covering the leaves with water, for 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly and chop finely.
- Place in a bowl with the egg yolks, salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Mix well. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the mixture.
- Spread the mixture evenly in a lined and greased 12″ x 8″ (30 cm x 20 cm) Swills roll tin.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C) for 10 to 15 minutes until risen and firm.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and fry until soft. Add the sliced mushroom and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the flour, then gradually stir in the milk. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer for a couple of minutes more.
- Sprinkle the cheese over a sheet of greaseproof paper. Turn the roll out onto the paper and peel off the lining paper.
- Spread with the filling and roll up like a Swiss roll.
- Slice and serve hot.
This Spinach Roll Recipe serves 4 and makes a great starter for any meal.
Leave a Comment Here on Spinach Roll Recipe