Ingredients for Spinach and Cheese Flan:
- 6 oz (175 g) short crust pastry
- 1lb (450 g) spinach
- Salt and pepper
- 8 oz (225 g) cottage cheese
- 2 free-range eggs
- 2 oz (50 g) parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ pint (150 ml) milk
Method for Spinach and Cheese Flan:
- Roll out the short crust pastry and line an 8″ (20.5 cm) flan case with it. Put into the fridge to chill whilst you’re preparing the filling.
- Wash the spinach and put into a large pan with just enough water to cling to the leaves. Add a pinch of salt and cook gently for 5 minutes, turning twice.
- Drain the spinach thoroughly and chop finely.
- Mix the eggs, milk, cottage cheese and parmesan cheese together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the finely chopped spinach.
- Pour into the flan case and bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C) for around 35 minutes.
A pinch of grated nutmeg into the mixture goes well if liked. Try it with cheese pastry instead of ordinary shortcrust pastry.
Pastry Making Help & Information
These guides compliment our recipes section. Basic guide to making pastry - for individual types of pastry, see below. Pastry Ingredients: Flour for Pastry Making: Use good quality flour for pastry making if you can. It should be quite dry...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Cheese pastry is used for cheese biscuits and straws, savoury tarts, pies, flans and turnovers. It works well with a strong cheese, such as a mature cheddar or a blue cheese such as Stilton...
These pastry making guides compliment our recipes section. Shortcrust pastry is the most common type of pastry and very easy to make though it does need to be kept cool and handled as little as possible. Use for sweet and savoury flans, pies, tarts...