A tasty vegetarian goulash.
Ingredients for Potato Goulash:
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 oz (56 g) butter
- 2 lb (900 g) potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 level tablespoon of paprika
- ¼ pint (145 ml) water
- Salt to taste
- 1 level tablespoon cornflour
- 2 level teaspoons caraway seeds (optional)
- ¼ pint (145 ml) soured cream
- A few chopped chives or spring onions
- 3 – 4 free-range hard boiled eggs, sliced
Method for Potato Goulash:
- Fry onions in oil and butter over a low heat in a large saucepan until tender and golden.
- Add potatoes and paprika and stir.
- Add water and salt. Cover and cook slowly for around 20 minutes until the potatoes are just soft.
- Stir in the flour, blended with 3 -4 tablespoons of water, and the caraway seeds (if using). Cook for a minute or two to thicken and then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the soured cream, pile up in a casserole and sprinkle with chopped chives or onion and the sliced eggs.
Small portions of long grain white rice goes well with this.