Ingredients for Indian Style Vegetable Casserole:
- 3 medium sized onions, peeled and sliced
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 green chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic (depending on size) crushed
- 8 oz broad beans
- 2 green peppers, de-seeded, pith removed, and cut into 1″ pieces
- 3 to 4 tomatoes, large, skinned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
Method for Indian Style Vegetable Casserole:
- Mix the turmeric, cumin and flour together and roll the onions in it.
- Mix the chilli with the broad beans and peppers in a bowl and add the garlic.
- Grease a casserole with a little butter and place a layer of onions on the bottom.
- Cover with a layer of the chilli, broad beans and peppers followed by a layer of the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and keep adding layers until all the ingredients have been used.
- Pour the oil over the top, cover with a lid.
- Put into a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 5 (375°F/190°C) for about 30 minutes until all of the ingredients are cooked through.
Note: Peas can be used instead of broad beans. A tablespoon of lemon juice poured over the top of the casserole just before serving works well.