Thin slices of potato cooked in the oven with cream and garlic. This has got to be one of the most decadent of side dishes!
Ingredients for Potatoes Dauphinoise:
- 1 lb (450 g) potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 -3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ pint (285 ml) double cream
Method for Potatoes Dauphinoise:
- Put the potatoes into boiling, salted water and par-boil for a couple of minutes. Drain.
- Place the potatoes slices into a greased, shallow oven-proof dish in layers with salt and garlic and black pepper.
- Pour the cream over the top.
- Bake on the middle shelf of a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 7 (425°F/220°C) for around 30 minutes until brown. If the potatoes become a little too dry, baste the top of them with a little cream.
Serves 4 as a side dish.
Note: I’ve tried this without par-boiling the potatoes and it hasn’t worked. It took too long for the potatoes to cook through properly in the oven.