Pea soup is very comforting, sweet and delicious. Made with marrowfat dried peas that are grown especially for drying.
Ingredients for Pea Soup:
- 4 oz (112g) dried peas
- 4 cloves
- 1 large onion
- 2 sprigs of mint
- 1½ pints (850 ml) vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
Method for Pea Soup:
- Soak the peas overnight in plenty of cold water. Drain and rinse them.
- Peel the onion and stick the cloves into it and place in a large saucepan with the peas, mint and vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for around an hour until the peas are very tender.
- Remove the cloves from the onion.
- Transfer the onion and the rest of the soup to a blender/liquidiser and liquidise until it is smooth.
- Add the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Return to a clean saucepan and re-heat.
- Add the butter just before serving.