Recipe for Homemade Bolognese Sauce submitted by Bernard Sunderland
A classic Bolognese sauce that tastes great. More subtle and more filling than the stuff that comes out of jars!
Basic ingredients for Homemade Bolognese Sauce:
- 1 large carrot
- 3 sticks celery
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tin tomatoes or 12oz home grown (skinned)
- 8oz minced meat (2 kinds of meat is traditional)
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 stock cube (beef or mutton)
Optional ingredients for Homemade Bolognese Sauce:
- Teaspoon mild chilli powder
- Dash Worcester sauce
- ½ cup red wine
- Choice of herbs – eg. thyme, basil, marjoram, parsley
- Dash of orange or lemon juice
Method for Homemade Bolognese Sauce:
- Grate the carrot, chop the celery and onion fine, place in large saucepan
and fry gently in a little oil until soft.
- Add the mince, turn up heat and continue until no pink meat left.
- Add the tomatoes, soy sauce, herbs and choice of options.
- Simmer gently for 3 hours.
- Taste after 1 hour and add the orange or lemon juice if it needs sharpening – probably if you used tinned tomatoes (and possibly a good squirt of ketchup).
Serve with the pasta of your choice – it doesn’t have to be spaghetti!