Ingredients for Garlic Oil:
- 10 large dried cloves garlic, skinned and halved
- 1 pint (570 ml) olive oil (see below) or other good quality oil
Method for Garlic Oil:
- Put the garlic into a warm, sterilized jar.
- Heat the oil to around 140ºC/285ºF and then pour it over the garlic in the bottle/jar and cover tightly.
- Leave to stand for 1 to 2 weeks and then strain through 2 thicknesses of muslin.
- Pour into a sterilized bottle and seal with a sterilized cork or screw-top.
Makes about 1 pint (570 ml) of Garlic Oil. Garlic oil is great for making a salad dressing or just as a pouring oil to go with vinegar on a salad. It can, of course, be used as a cooking oil imparting a mild garlic flavour to a dish.
You can use extra-virgin olive oil but the garlic flavour will tend to overwhelm the flavour. A decent rape or sunflower oil or ordinary olive oil will do just as well.
For More Information on Making Flavoured Oils & Vinegars