Tartar Sauce is the traditional and ideal accompaniment for grilled fish. It even goes well with fish cakes!
Ingredients for Tartar Sauce:
- 6 fl oz (170 ml) whole or semi-skimmed milk
- 4 fl oz (115 ml) white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon french mustard
- 4 oz (112 g) butter
- 4 eggs (preferably free-range)
- Salt and ground white pepper
- 4 teaspoons chopped capers
- 4 teaspoons chopped gherkins
- 4 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 4 teaspoons of chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
Method for Tartar Sauce:
- Put the milk, white wine vinegar, sugar, mustard, butter and eggs into a pan and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk together until blended and then heat gently, whisking all the time, until the mixture thickens. Do not allow to boil or the eggs will curdle.
- Stir in the capers, gherkins, parsley and chives and allow to warm through.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Pour into hot sterilized bottles or jars and seal.
Makes about ¾ pint (430 ml) of Tartar Sauce.
Note: This will only keep for about 3 months in a refrigerator, 6 weeks in a cool, dark place and only about a week once opened. It’s better to split it into 3 small jars.