Ingredients for Chilli Oil:
- 10 dried chillies, preferably a mixture of green and red
- 1 pint (570 ml) olive oil (see below) or other good quality oil
Method for Chilli Oil:
- Trim the chillies, split open and remove the seeds. crush into small flakes.
- Put into a warm, sterilized jar.
- Heat the oil to around 180ºC/350ºF and then pour it over the chillies in the bottle/jar and cover tightly.
- Leave to stand for 1 to 2 weeks and then strain through 2 thicknesses of muslin.
- Pour into a sterilized bottle and seal with a sterilized cork or screw-top.
Makes about 1 pint (570 ml) of Chilli Oil.
You can use extra-virgin olive oil but the chilli flavour will tend to overwhelm the flavour. A decent rape or sunflower oil or ordinary olive oil will do just as well.
Chilli oil is useful to have at hand both to use to make a zingy salad dressing and as a cooking oil. Great when stir-frying, especially prawn dishes.
For More Information on Making Flavoured Oils & Vinegars