Ingredients for Rosemary Oil:
- 6 good sprigs of rosemary
- 1 pint (570 ml) olive oil (see below) or other good quality oil
Method for Rosemary Oil:
- Put the rosemary into a clean, dry, sterilized bottle.
- Pour the oil over and cover tightly
- Leave to stand in a sunny place for 2 to 4 weeks.
- Strain through double thickness of muslin.
- Pour into a sterilized bottle and seal with a sterilized cork or screw top.
Makes about 1 pint (570 ml) of Rosemary Oil.
Note: Cold oils are better for green herbs. When making this rosemary or any other herb oil, remember the volatile flavour oils in the herbs will be strongest in the morning.
You can use extra-virgin olive oil but the herb flavour will tend to be overwhelmed. A decent rape or sunflower oil or ordinary olive oil will do just as well if not better.
Adds a subtle herb flavour when used as a salad dressing
great recipe, prob a silly question but do you have to take out the rosemary?