Ingredients for Gooseberry Ketchup:
- 2 lbs (900 g) gooseberries (preferably slightly under-ripe)
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1½ pints (860 ml) white wine vinegar
- 12 oz (340 g) demerara sugar
- 4 oz (112 g) sultanas
Method for Gooseberry Ketchup:
- Chop the gooseberries in half and squash down on them in a pan. Crush the garlic and add this to the gooseberries, along with all of the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, and then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the fruit is very soft and flavoured the vinegar.
- Stain through a sieve and pour the liquid into hot, sterilized, bottles and seal.
- Label when cool.
Makes about 1¾ pints (1 litre) of Gooseberry Ketchuup.
Delicious with strong meats like venison, game birds or duck. It even spices up a humble beef burger at the barbecue.
General Information on Making Sauces and Ketchups
Sauces and ketchups (catsup) are very similar although, generally, ketchups have a slightly thinner consistency than sauces. Sauces are rubbed through a sieve to give a smooth mixture and then cooked again until they are thick enough not to separate...