Ingredients for Chilli Sauce:
- 6 oz (170 g) fresh chilli peppers, red, green or yellow or a mixture
- 6 oz (170 g) onion
- 4 oz (112 g) cooking apple
- 2 teaspoons of home-prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ pint (145 ml) distilled white malt vinegar
Method for Chilli Sauce:
- Remove the stalks and seeds from the chillies and chop as finely as possible. (Take care not to touch your eyes).
- Finely chop the onion and core, peel and chop the apple.
- Put the chillies in a pan with all of the rest of the ingredients. Heat gently, stirring until the mixture boils.
- Turn down the heat and simmer until all the ingredients are soft and mushy and the sauce has thickened. (Takes about 40 minutes).
- Sieve and pour immediately into a hot sterilized bottle and seal.
- Label once cool.
Tip: Chilli Sauce has a habit of separating on standing so shake the bottle before use.
General Information on Making Sauces and Ketchups
Sauces and ketchups (catsup) are very similar although, generally, ketchups have a slightly thinner consistency than sauces. Sauces are rubbed through a sieve to give a smooth mixture and then cooked again until they are thick enough not to separate...