Ingredients for Cabbage and Bacon Bake:
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 oz streaky bacon, rind removed and cut into thin strips
- 2 lb (900 g) white cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large or 2 small cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 eggs
- ½ pint (290 ml) full or semi-skimmed milk
- 2 tablespoons of dried breadcrumbs
- 1 oz (14 g) butter
Method for Cabbage and Bacon Bake:
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and gently fry until lightly coloured. Add the bacon, cabbage and garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir well and then continue to fry for around 10 minutes, turning the mixture frequently.
- Using some of the butter, grease an oven-proof dish and then transfer the cabbage mixture into it..
- Mix the eggs and milk with a bit more pepper, then pour over the top of the cabbage.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and dot over the remainder of the butter.
- Bake in a pre-heated over at Gas Mark 4 (180°C/350°F) for 40 minutes.
Serves 4. More of a side dish than a main course. Would go well with french bean and some spuds!
Would this dish freeze please?
Just what I was thinking, Evelyn. Also what would you serve with it?
It will freeze but the texture deteriorates and the bacon content means it shouldn’t be frozen for more than a month. I wouldn’t recommend freezing.
It’s a meal in itself but you could serve with potatoes to extend it.