Ingredients for Cheese and Potato Casserole:
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) potatoes
- 2 onions
- 12 ozs (340 g) grated mature cheddar cheese or a mixture of cheddar and a blue cheese
- 2 ozs (56 g) butter
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ pint (290 ml) semi-skimmed milk
Method for Cheese and Potato Casserole:
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes and put into cold water to rinse off some of the starch. Leave for about 15 minutes and then pat dry with a clean tea towel or kitchen roll.
- Peel the onions and thinly slice into rounds.
- Grease a large casserole and place a layer of potatoes in the bottom. Top with a layer of onions and then a layer of cheese. Dot with some of the butter and add salt and pepper. Repeat layers until the ingredients are used up.
- Bring the milk just to the boil and pour over the top.
- Bake on the middle shelf of pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 5 (190°C/375°F) for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced.
Note: A nice garnish is some finely chopped chives over the top when it has cooked. Goes well with some steamed runner or french beans.