Ingredients for Globe Artichokes with Broad Beans:
- 4 globe artichokes
- 2 lb (900 g) shelled broad beans
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 spring onions, finely diced
- 1 lb (450 g) ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1 oz (28 g) fresh dill, finely chopped, or 2 teaspoons of dried
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
Method for Globe Artichokes with Broad Beans:
- Take each artichoke and break off the tough outer leaves and cut off 1″ (2.5 cm) from the top. Remove the choke and peel the base all round. Cut into 6ths or 8ths. Stand the heart wedges in water with lemon juice added so they don’t blacken.
- Put the diced spring onions in the oil in a large saucepan and sauté. Add the chopped tomatoes, broad beans, artichokes, dill, salt and pepper and a little water.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover the pan and simmer for about 1 hour.
Preparing the artichokes is fiddly but it is worth it for their lovely taste.
Serves 4. A delicious main course vegetarian meal.