Ingredients for Potatoes Au Gratin:
- 2 lbs (900 g) potatoes
- 4 oz (112 g) grated cheese
- ½ pint (290 ml) full or semi-skimmed milk
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
Method for Potatoes Au Gratin:
- Peel the potatoes and slice into ¼” (0.5 cm) rounds.
- Par boil in a large pan of salted water and drain.
- Grease an oven-proof dish and arrange the potatoes in layers, sprinkling a little pepper and some cheese on each layer.
- Beat the eggs with the milk and pour over the potatoes.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 5 (375°F/190°C) for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are fully cooked.
Note: Works particularly well with Sarpo Mira potatoes which retain their firmness.
For the ultimate comfort food (and if you’re not watching the calories) replace the milk with double cream.