Ingredients for Spinach and Rice:
- 2 lbs (900 g) spinach
- 8 oz (225 g) short grain rice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon or 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 small bunch of dill, finely chopped, or 2 -3 teaspoons of dried dill
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- ½ pint (290 ml) water
- Salt and pepper
Method for Spinach and Rice:
- Wash and drain the spinach.
- Sauté the chopped spring onions in the oil and then add the spinach and stir for a few minutes.
- Mix the tomato purée with the water and add to the onions and spinach. Add salt, pepper, dill and the lemon juice and allow to come to the boil.
- Add the rice and reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes until the rice has absorbed all the juice.
Serves 4 as a side dish or 2 as a main course.
The combination of the spinach with the rice makes this a colourful vegetarian dish. Also, as it is loaded with spinach, a good start to your 5 a day!
Leave a Comment Here on Spinach and Rice Recipe