Is this a casserole or a stew? I’m always getting confused! Either way it’s delicious. Possibly serves 4 to 6 with some extra side dishes as a main course.
Ingredients for Mushroom and Potato Casserole:
- 1 lb small new potatoes or 1 ½ lbs of medium, evenly sized potatoes
- 8 ozs (225 g) button mushrooms
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 pint (570 ml) full or semi-skimmed milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 or 2 tablespoons double cream
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
Method for Mushroom and Potato Casserole:
- For new potatoes, scrape and leave whole. For other potatoes, peel and cut each one into four.
- Par boil in salted water and drain. Cover and put aside.
- Wash the mushrooms and trim the stalks if necessary. Don’t pull the stalks out or the mushrooms will shrink whilst cooking.
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir the mushrooms in to coat. Mix in the flour, milk and seasoning and stir until boiling.
- Add the potatoes, bring back to the boil and then cover the pan and simmer gently for around 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and a pinch of grated nutmeg, allow to heat through and then serve.