A simple and light side dish.
Ingredients for Stewed Peas with Onion & Garlic:
- 1 lb (450 g) shelled peas or frozen peas
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 ½ ozs (70 g) butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ pint (140 ml) vegetable stock
Method for Stewed Peas with Onion & Garlic:
- From fresh, shell the peas and put them in a bowl of cold water to soak. From frozen, allow them to defrost.
- Fry the onions and garlic slowly in a pan until the onion is soft.
- Drain the peas and add them to the onions and garlic. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Add the vegetable stock and allow to heat up.
- Cover tightly and simmer very slowly for ½ an hour, stirring occasionally. If frozen peas are used, they will be ready in about ¼ of an hour.
- Serve hot.
A simple and light side dish, good with roast or sauté potatoes and grilled or roast meat.