Ingredients for Tagliatelle with Aubergines and Tomatoes:
- 1½ lbs (675 g) of aubergines, diced into 1″ (2.5 cm) pieces
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped roughly
- 1½ lbs (675 g) ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 12 ozs (340 g) tagliatelle
- 2 ozs (56 g) butter
- 2 tablespoons of tomato purée
- 8 ozs (225 g) diced mozzarella cheese
- 4 ozs (112 g) grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and black pepper
Method for Tagliatelle with Aubergines and Tomatoes:
- Dice the aubergines, put into a colander and sprinkle with salt. Cover with a plate and weigh it down. Leave for about ½ an hour then squeeze dry in a clean tea cloth or kitchen roll.
- Cook the tagliatelle in a large pan of fast boiling, salted water with a few drops of olive oil until almost al-dente.
- Fry the onion in some olive oil for around 5 minutes and then add the drained aubergines and crushed garlic. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes and then stir in the chopped tomatoes, basil and tomato purée. Season with salt and pepper and then cover the pan and simmer for around 20 minutes.
- Drain the cooked tagliatelle and then return it into a hot pan and toss it with the butter, half of the parmesan and all of the diced mozzarella.
- Spread the tagliatelle over the base of a greased oven-proof dish, cover with vegetable mix and sprinkle with the rest of the parmesan.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 4 (350°F/180°F) for 15 to 20 minutes.
If you like olives, you can add them to the vegetable mix at the end before it goes over the tagliatelle.
Leave a Comment Here on Tagliatelle with Aubergines and Tomatoes Recipe