Ingredients for Baked Penne with Courgettes and Tomatoes:
- 12 oz (340 g) penne or other short macaroni
- 1 lb (450 g) ripe tomatoes
- Olive oil
- 8 oz (225 g) courgettes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 or 3 sprigs of oregano or ½ teaspoon of dried
- 8 oz (225 g) mozzarella cheese
- A little butter
Method for Baked Penne with Courgettes and Tomatoes:
- Cook the penne in a large pan of fast boiling, salted water with a few drops of olive oil until almost al-dente.
- Peel and chop the tomatoes finely and mix with a little oil.
- Thinly slice the courgettes and lightly fry them in 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil until they are a golden colour. Add salt, pepper and oregano.
- Thinly slice the mozzarella cheese.
- Grease an oven-proof dish with butter.
- Drain the penne through a colander and quickly rinse with cold water.
- Put about 4 ozs (112 g) of the penne in a layer on the bottom of the oven-proof dish, cover with a layer of the tomatoes and some of the mozzarella.
- Add another layer of the penne, one of tomato and mozzarella and all the courgettes with the oil and oregano.
- Cover with the remaining penne, spread with the rest of tomato purée and mozzarella.
- Sprinkle a little more olive oil over the top and bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 4 (180°C/350°) for around 20 minutes until the mozzarella has melted and spread over the top.
Serves 4. A filling main course meal on its own. Nice served with a green side salad.