Ingredients for Spiced Vegetables with Lentils:
- 4 oz (112 g) lentils
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green or red pepper, seeds removed and de-pithed, cut into small strips
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 oz (112 g) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 lb (450 g) tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Small pot of plain yoghurt
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried chilli or chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon grated root ginger
Method for Spiced Vegetables with Lentils:
- Cook the lentils gently on the hob in about ½ pint (285 ml) of water for ½ an hour. Drain.
- Put the oil into into a large frying pan and heat. Add the spices, onion, pepper and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and carrots and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Add the drained lentils and tomatoes, stirring well to mix everything together.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover the pan and leave the whole lot to simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and allow the sauce to reduce slightly for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the yoghurt, allow it to warm through, and then serve immediately.
Goes well with brown rice or with some crusty bread to dip up the sauce. Serves 4.