Ingredients for Lettuce and Peas:
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 oz butter
- 1 lb podded peas
- ½ pint (285 ml) vegetable stock
- 2 small or 1 large lettuce, shredded
- 4 tbsp single cream or crème fraîche
- 1 bunch mint, finely shredded (optional)
Method for Lettuce and Peas:
- Heat a frying pan over a moderate heat, and when hot, add the butter and onion. Fry for 4-5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the peas, stir to combine and pour in the stock. Bring up to a simmer before adding the shredded lettuce – stir well and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, checking that the peas are done.
- Stir in the single cream or crème fraîche and warm through.
- Stir in the mint if using and serve straight away.
Note: A good way to use up bolting lettuces. You can omit the single cream or crème fraîche if you’re calorie conscious but butter definitely works best for sautéing the onions!