Ingredients for Spinach Pancakes with Creamed Cheese and Chives:
For the Batter:
- 4 oz (112 g) spinach
- 4 oz (112 g) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ pint (145 ml) milk
- Oil for frying
- 1 oz (28 g) butter, melted
For the Filling:
- 1 lb (450 g) cream cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped chives
Method for Spinach Pancakes with Creamed Cheese and Chives:
- Wash and drain the spinach, cook the leaves in a pan with the minimum amount of water until soft, then rub through a sieve to make a thin purée.
- Sift the flour into a bowl with a pinch of salt. Beat in the egg and milk and then the spinach puree.
- Leave to stand for at least 10 minutes before using.
- Season the cream cheese with salt and pepper and mix in the chopped chives.
- Heat a little oil in an omelette size frying pan. Use a jug to pour in enough of the batter to coat the surface. Run the batter smoothly and evenly over the surface. Cook for around 1 minute until small bubbles appear, then use a spatula to turn the pancake over. Cook for 1 minute on the other side. Transfer to a plate with kitchen roll underneath. Repeat the process, interleaving with kitchen roll, it should make at least 8 pancakes.
- Divide the filling between the pancakes and roll up.
- Place on a serving dish and pour over melted butter to serve.
Makes 4 x 2 pancake servings. Serve with a salad as a light meal.
Thought I would have a try, went and picked my spinach for the spinach pancakes with creamed cheese and chives recipe but after sorting out the spinach about to add to the mix realised no amount for the milk put in 1 pint but it appears to be the wrong amount. I will now have to wait until my spinach has grown again. Could you please let me know how much milk to use.
Sorry, I’ve amended the recipe. You only need about 1/4 pint (145 ml) of milk.