Ingredients for Spinach Pancakes with Creamed Cheese and Chives:
For the Batter:
- 4 oz (112 g) spinach
- 4 oz (112 g) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ pint (145 ml) milk
- Oil for frying
- 1 oz (28 g) butter, melted
For the Filling:
- 1 lb (450 g) cream cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped chives
Method for Spinach Pancakes with Creamed Cheese and Chives:
- Wash and drain the spinach, cook the leaves in a pan with the minimum amount of water until soft, then rub through a sieve to make a thin purée.
- Sift the flour into a bowl with a pinch of salt. Beat in the egg and milk and then the spinach puree.
- Leave to stand for at least 10 minutes before using.
- Season the cream cheese with salt and pepper and mix in the chopped chives.
- Heat a little oil in an omelette size frying pan. Use a jug to pour in enough of the batter to coat the surface. Run the batter smoothly and evenly over the surface. Cook for around 1 minute until small bubbles appear, then use a spatula to turn the pancake over. Cook for 1 minute on the other side. Transfer to a plate with kitchen roll underneath. Repeat the process, interleaving with kitchen roll, it should make at least 8 pancakes.
- Divide the filling between the pancakes and roll up.
- Place on a serving dish and pour over melted butter to serve.
Makes 4 x 2 pancake servings. Serve with a salad as a light meal.