Ingredients for Vegetarian Sweet and Sour with Eggs:
- 2 oz (56 g) butter
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1 lb (450 g) can of pineapple pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, halved
- Chopped parsley for garnish
Method for Vegetarian Sweet and Sour with Eggs:
- Melt the butter in a pan and sauté the green pepper, onion and celery for around 5 minutes
- Drain the juice from the pineapple and put aside.
- Add the fruit and tomato purée to the pan. Blend the cornflour with the pineapple juice. Stir in the paprika, vinegar and soy sauce and add to the pan. Raise the temperature slightly and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and stir in the eggs. Cover and simmer for around 5 minutes.
- Transfer to warmed serving dish and garnish with parsley.
Serve with white, long grain rice.