Ingredients for Greek Style Green Beans:
- 1 lb (450 g) green beans
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 large ripe tomato, skinned and chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Method for Greek Style Green Beans:
- Top and tail the beans and cut in half if very long.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the onions and garlic until they soften. Put the beans on top of of the onions, then the tomato, half the parsley and the sugar. Sprinkle with the oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the pan and simmer gently for about 20 minutes until the beans are tender, checking the liquid from time to time and adding a little water if it appears to be evaporating too much. You should end up with a thick sauce.
- Stir in the cumin and sprinkle with the remaining parsley.
Can be served hot or allowed to cool, then covered and chilled. We prefer it warm but had it chilled once on a blistering hot day in Greece where it was very nice. The restaurant owner gave us the recipe,