Ingredients for Spinach and Cheese Dumplings:
- 1 lb (450 g) spinach
- 8 ozs (225 g) ricotta cheese
- Salt and pepper
- A little grated nutmeg if liked
- 4 egg yolks
- 8 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Flour for coating
- 4 ozs (112 g) butter
Method for Spinach and Cheese Dumplings:
- Wash the spinach and finely chop the leaves, discard the stalks.
- Cook the spinach without any added water until just tender, drain well and put through a blender or push through a sieve.
- Mix together the spinach, ricotta cheese, salt and pepper and nutmeg if used. Add the egg yolks and half the parmesan cheese and stir.
- Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into a little flour spread over greaseproof paper. Shape into small balls.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil, add the dumplings and cover.
- Simmer for around 5 minutes and them remove the dumplings with a slotted spoon onto hot serving plates.
- Melt the butter and pour over the dumplings with the remaining parmesan cheese and serve.
You will probably have to do these in batches unless you’ve a very large pan! Keep warm in a low oven until all are done.
Nice accompanied with a spicy tomato sauce. Serves 4.