Courgette and Nut Cake Recipe submitted by Coldfeet
A 2lb cake will easily feed 8 people with healthy appetites. This cake also helps to use up the Summer glut of courgettes.
Ingredients for Courgette and Nut Cake:
- 185g walnuts and pecans mixed
- 500g grated courgettes
- 250ml oil
- 170g demerara sugar
- 3 eggs
- 310g self-raising flour, sifted (I used 275g wholemeal + 2.5 tsp baking powder topped up with white SR)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- a splash of milk, if necessary
Method for Courgette and Nut Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas Mark 3
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin. (I used an 8″ x 10″ tin plus 6 muffin cases for overflow)
- Mix together courgettes, oil, sugar, eggs. Add the chopped nuts.
- Gradually add the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add a splash of milk to the mixture to add a bit more wetness if needed.
- Pour the mixture into the tin.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 45mins until a cake tester (or knife) comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
(If you bake them as muffins, then they need 25-30 minutes, but check them with a skewer to ensure that they are done.)
- Let the cake cool in the tin.
Before I attempt to make this cake could you please tell me if this is freezable. No recipes seem to cater for widowed elderly males as this would take a lot of eating for one.
It will be a lot of eating, have just made two small cakes. Not sure how the nuts will cope with freezing. Nice but will try muscovado sugar next time to give stronger flavour, will probably add 30g.
@Jane: Freezes well. Some of the eaters don’t think it needs any more sugar.
Made often freezes well. I cut it in half and freeze as two portions
I want to make but wondered what sort of oil to use? Thank you
It’s not my recipe but vegetable oil will do although I’d tend to use olive oil.
This is lovely, I used sultanas, swelled first in apple juice if using wholemeal flour makes the cake more moist.