Cucumber Pickle Recipe submitted by John Pullinger
With cucumbers, it seems that you go from none to that many you don’t know what to do with them! Here’s a way of preserving the glut. This recipe will make about 4 lbs of pickle.
Ingredients for Cucumber Pickle:
- 3lbs cucumbers
- 3 oz cooking salt
- 12 oz soft brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 large onions
- ¾ pint wine vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 dessert spoon mustard seeds
Method for Cucumber Pickle:
- Wash the cucumbers and slice very thinly into large bowl.
- Add the onions, finely sliced and sprinkled with salt, mix well and leave to stand for 3 hours.
- Rinse thoroughly in running cold water and put into large saucepan, add the vinegar, bring to the boil and simmer until the mixture is soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add the sugar and spices, stir over a low heat to dissolve the sugar and bring back to the boil, then remove from the heat.
- Pour into a large bowl and leave to cool. Pot the pickle in sterilized jars and cover tightly.
This recipe will make about 4 lbs of pickle.
This pickle, kept in properly sterilized and sealed jars, should keep for a year in a cool dark place. We’d suggest eating within 6 months though. Once opened, keep in the fridge and try to use within 4 weeks.
For More Information
Pickles - How to Make Pickles
Pickles can range from a simple single ingredient pickle to a complex mixed pickle like Piccalilli. The final flavour, especially with the simple pickles, will depend heavily on the vinegar used. See our article on Making Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars,...
Relishes - How to Make Relishes at Home
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...
Yes, I like this one. (First one I’ve made). Just curious, how long would it last in the jar? I have just mixed all the ingredients for the green tomato marmalade, won”t know till tomorrow night how that one turns out. Great Site! Only found it this morning. Cheers!
I’d use it within 6 months but should be OK for a year.
Do you think this would work just as well if you sliced the cues into quarters lengthwise or do the pieces need to really cook before preserving?
I am grateful to have found this recipe, I can buy pickled cucumbers but have never seen a recipe for them. I will definitely try this one out.
What type of cucumber can be used please? Can you use apple cucumbers?
Many thanks, C
You can use any type of cucumber including apple cucumbers.
Can I cut down on the sugar and if so by how much? It looks like a lovely recipe.
I normally jar things up when still warm,so getting a good seal on the lid , is this packed when cold ?