A different take on the Italian dark green sauce for pasta which originated in Genoa. Makes the most of leeks which are past their prime and really need turning into soup.
Ingredients for Leek Pesto:
- Five/six medium sized leeks
- Six brussel sprouts
- Four cloves garlic
- Two oz Parmesan cheese
- Two oz mixed nuts – any will do (I used the leftover Brazils, pecans and cob nuts from Christmas)
- Half a cup of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Method for Leek Pesto:
- Grate the cheese, slice the leeks thinly, prepare the sprouts (or any other nice green brassica leaves).
- Coarsely chop the nuts, and chuck the lot in a blender.
- Put everything else in, add the oil, and blend, keeping pushing it down, because the cheese makes it set slightly. If the blender gets the hump, add a little veg stock to make the blades hit something!
Makes just over half a pint, depending on how big the leeks are.
I just wanted to make the most of about fifty leeks we have still growing on ‘The Patch’, and which really need turning into soup, but we’ve run out of space in both freezers! Great with pork!