My tomatoes this year had very thick skins and weren’t very prolific so to use up the ones I had, I found a basic tomato soup recipe and adapted it. The result was lovely. Do skin the tomatoes first, if you too have suffered with thick skins!.
Makes 4–5 servings.
Ingredients for Tomato & Lentil Soup:
- 2 lbs tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 2 tsps tomato purée
- 1.5 pints veg stock (Swiss Marigold Bouillion)
- 4 dessert spoons red lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- Good pinch paprika, small pinch cayenne, sprinkle of sugar
Method for Tomato & Lentil Soup:
- Skin tomatoes in boiling water, roughly chop.
- Add a glug of olive oil to a saucepan, heat and sweat the onion and carrot, add the paprika and cayenne and tomato purée. Stir and colour the veg.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook down for about 20 mins.
- Add the stock, lentils and sugar, a little salt and black pepper and tear in the bay leaves.
- Cook/simmer for approx 30-40 mins until the lentils are soft.
- Purée in a blender or with a hand held blender, taste and season.
Few things can beat a mug of tomato & lentil soup as you take a rest at the end of a cold winter’s day on the plot. Soups will freeze well and keep for a year at -20°C