Ingredients for Deep Fried Squash Puffs Recipe:
- 3/4 pound star squash, (about 2 medium sized squash) cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup plain flour (40 grams, 1½ oz)
- 1/3 cup fine ground cornmeal (40 grams, 1½ oz)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, grated
Method to make Deep Fried Squash Puffs Recipe:
- Add squash to saucepan and just cover with salted water. Cook, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain well and mash enough squash to fill a cup and then combine the squash and egg and blend well.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt, stir well. Add squash mixture and grated onions, stir until blended.
- Drop squash mixture by level tablespoons into a pan of hot oil and fry until golden brown, turning once.
Makes about 2 dozen squash puffs. Cornmeal is sold by larger branches of most supermarkets, many wholefood shops and Caribbean food shops. It’s common in the USA but not so well known and used in the UK. Cornmeal is in-expensive, 500 grams should be well under a pound.
Squash is a fairly bland vegetable but does take on flavours well. Although the recipe doesn’t call for it, the addition of a little garlic really perks it up.
If you can’t get star squash, this recipe for Deep Fried Squash Puffs will work just as well with a butternut squash.