Baked Squash with Pineapple Recipe Sent in by: Granny Dumplin
Ingredients for Baked Squash with Pineapple Recipe:
- 3 x star squash, halved
- 2tbls Dry sherry
- 2tbls Brown sugar
- 6tbls Olive oil
- 1/2cup Crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/4tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1tsp Salt
Method for Baked Squash with Pineapple Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 220°C Gas Mark 7
- Scoop out the squash seeds and fibres and discard them.
- Place the halved squashes in a greased baking dish, open side up.
- Put 1 teaspoon each of sherry, brown sugar, and oil in to each squash half.
- Cover with a lid or cooking foil and bake for 30 minutes or so until tender. Then remove from the oven and allow to cool a little so you can undertake the next step
- Scoop the squash out of shells into a bowl but leave a wall of squash over the skin about ½ inch thick.
- Mash the squash in the bowl and combine with the remaining 4 tablespoons oil, pineapple, nutmeg and salt, beating well to blend with a fork or spoon.
- Spoon back into shells, re-cover and return to the oven to bake for 15 minutes more.
This is an unusual way to handle squash, combining the sweetness of pineapple with the savoury of squash although squash is fairly bland and neutral. The end result is delicious.
This Baked Squash with Pineapple Recipe makes enough for 6 good portions.