Recipe for Butternut Squash Soup sent in by: Granny Dumplin
Ingredients for Butternut Squash Soup
- One 2 lb butternut squash, peeled and chopped into medium dice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 pints vegetable stock or water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 fluid ounces (112 ml) whipping or double cream
- Salt and white pepper to taste
Method for Butternut Squash Soup:
- In a soup pot sweat the squash, sugar and some salt in the butter, covered, for three minutes. (Remember sweating, as opposed to sautéing, means low heat, we do not want to brown the butter or the squash, just soften it)
- Add onion and sweat ten minutes more
- Add water or vegetable stock and the cinnamon stick and bring to the boil
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and simmer for thirty minutes.
- Remove cinnamon and purée soup in a blender for at least one minute.
- Then pass through a fine mesh strainer
- Return to pan, re-heat, add the cream and salt and white pepper to taste
- A final option is to sprinkle some nutmeg on each bowl when serving
This soup can be frozen. Stop after step 6, adding the cream and seasoning when defrosted and re-heated.