An unusual chutney, but it works really well and makes a great accompaniment for fish dishes.
Ingredients for Lemon and Mustard Seed Chutney:
- 3 lemons, washed, chopped and seeds removed
- 1 tablespoonful of salt
- 3 small onions, diced
- ½ pint (300 ml) white wine or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoonful ground mixed spice or allspice
- 2 tablespoonfuls of mustard seed
- 8 oz (225 g) white granulated sugar
- 2 oz (56 g) raisins
Method for Lemon and Mustard Seed Chutney:
- Put the chopped lemons into a bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Cover with a clean cloth or kitchen roll and set aside for about 12 hours.
- In a large pan, combine the salted lemons with the onions, vinegar, mixed spice or allspice, mustard seed, sugar and raisins.
- Place the pan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for around 50 minutes, or until the lemons are soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Pour the chutney into clean, warm, sterilized jars and seal immediately.
- Label with contents once fully cooled.
Makes about 2 lb (900 g) of Lemon and Mustard Seed Chutney.
For More Information on Making Chutneys & Preserves
Chutneys originated in India – the name derived from the Hindu word chatni . They then came back to Britain with explorers where they were a hit and are now a very popular preserve all over the world. The scope of chutneys is endless and t...