Ingredients for Mild Piccalilli:
- 3 lbs of prepared mixed vegetables
- ½ lb (225 g) salt
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4oz (112 g) white granulated sugar
- 1½ pints (900 ml) white distilled vinegar
- 1 oz (28 g) cornflour
Method for Mild Piccalilli:
- Put the mixed vegetables in a bowl in alternate layers with the salt and leave overnight.
- Next day rinse in cold water and drain thoroughly.
- Put most of the vinegar into a pan and add the spices and sugar and bring to the boil.
- Add the vegetables and simmer the mixture until the vegetables are still crisp.
- Blend the cornflour with the remaining vinegar and stir into the vegetable mixture.
- Boil for 2-3 minutes, stirring gently.
- Pack the vegetables into hot, clean sterilised jars using a slotted spoon.
- Top up with any remaining sauce.
- Cover and seal immediately.
- Label once fully cool.
A combination of most vegetables can be used for Piccalilli but root vegetables don’t tend to work very well. Pick from cauliflower, crisp cabbage, celery, cucumber, courgettes, French and young runner beans, green tomatoes, marrow, peppers, pickling onions, shallots and sweet corn kernels. These need to be cut into fairly small pieces (½”-1″/1.25-2.5 cm).
This recipe is for about 3 – 4 lbs (1.4 – 1.8 kg) of Mild Piccalilli.
Tip: It’s better to use wide necked jars like the 1 lb (450 g) kilner type jars as packing them can get a bit messy!
For More Information on Pickles