Another way for those leeks – the traditional national emblem of Wales.
Ingredients for Savoury Welsh Surprise:
- 4 large leeks
- 6 ozs (170 g) cheddar cheese (cut into 4 fingers)
- 8 slices of cooked ham
- 1 oz (28 g) butter
- 1 oz (28 g) plain flour
- ½ pint (290 ml) milk
- Salt and pepper
Method for Savoury Welsh Surprise:
- Boil leeks in boiling, salted water, until soft. Drain thoroughly.
- Roll each leek in a slice of ham. Roll each cheese finger in a slice of ham.
- Arrange leek and cheese parcels in a shallow, oven-proof dish.
- Place butter, flour, milk, salt and pepper in a saucepan. Heat, stirring continuously, until the sauce thickens. Coat the ingredients in the dish with the sauce.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 5 (365°F/190°C) for 30 minutes until heated through and golden brown.
A delicious recipe for leeks. Quick and easy to make.