Ingredients for Potato and Tomato Pancake:
- 1½ lbs( 675 g) potatoes (peeled)
- 2 ozs (56 g) butter
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 6 ozs (170 g) mature cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 large tomatoes (sliced)
- Salt and Pepper
Method for Potato and Tomato Pancake:
- Boil the potatoes in boiling, salted water until soft. Drain well, then mash with butter and milk.
- Beat in 4 ozs (112 g) of the grated cheese, the chopped onion, beaten egg and a pinch of pepper.
- Turn into a shallow 9 inch (22 cm) oven-proof plate and mould to form a base.
- Top the potato mixture with slices of tomato and cover with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in a pre-heated over at Gas Mark 6 (400°F/200°C) for 20-30 minutes until the base is firm and the cheese melted.
Note: A sprinkling of oregano over the tomatoes goes well. And, for non-vegetarians, some diced streaky bacon can be used.