A filling main course dish that serves 4.
Ingredients for Savoury Spinach Pie:
- 8 ozs (225 g) long-grain rice
- 2 lbs (900 g) spinach
- 2 ozs (56 g) butter
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 8 ozs (225 g) lean bacon
- 3 eggs
- 4 ozs (112 g) grated cheese
Method for Savoury Spinach Pie:
- Cook rice in boiling salted water until tender, then drain well.
- Cook spinach, drain very thoroughly and chop.
- Heat 1 oz (28 g) of butter in a pan, add spinach, seasoning and a pinch of nutmeg. Toss for a few minutes, then add the rice and chopped bacon. Sauté all together for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add beaten eggs and 2 ozs (56 g) of the grated cheese.
- Put into an oven-proof dish, sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and dot with remaining butter.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at Gas Mark 5 (375°F/190°C) for about 20 minutes until crisp and golden.