A delicious soup that serves 6. Perfect for those bitterly cold winter days when parsnips have had their first frost and are at their best. Can be served with crusty bread for a hearty lunch or as a starter for any winter meal.
Ingredients for Curried Parsnip Soup:
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 large onions sliced
- 750g (1 ½ lbs) parsnips sliced
- 600ml (1 pt) chicken stock
- 300ml (½ pt) milk
- salt & pepper to taste
Method for Curried Parsnip Soup:
- Melt butter in large saucepan, add curry powder and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sliced parsnips and onions and cook gently for 5-6 minutes.
- Add stock bring to the boil and cook until all tender (I use a pressure cooker and cook at high pressure for 7-8 minutes, (releasing pressure quickly).
- Add milk and liquidise.
- Serve with a touch of cream swirled on top.
Delicious. Serves 6 Like most soups, Curried Parsnip Soup can be frozen and just taken out, defrosted and heated through adding the cream after.