Sweet Beetroot Chutney Recipe Submitted by lacewing
This chutney can be eaten fresh or will keep for 3-4 months unopened. Lovely with buttered crusty bread and cheese.
Ingredients for Sweet Beetroot Chutney:
- 500 g raw beetroot
- 1 medium onion
- 2 eating apples
- 250 ml malt vinegar
- 3 tsp grated root ginger
- 10 juniper berries
- 3 whole cloves
- 60 g light muscavado sugar
- 60 g sultanas or raisins
Method for Sweet Beetroot Chutney:
- Put the washed beetroot in a pan bring to the boil and simmer for 45 mins or until tender.
- Remove from the water and leave to cool.
- Peel and finely slice the onion.
- Roughly chop the apples, removing the core but not the skin.
- Put the onions and apples in a large pan then add the vinegar, ginger, juniper berries and cloves.
- Bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes with the occasional stir.
- Peel the beetroot, cut into large dice and stir into the onion mixture, then add the sugar and dried fruit.
- Continue cooking for a further 10 minutes, then spoon into warm sterilised jars, seal and keep in a cool dark place.
Makes enough for 2-3 450 g jam jars. If you want to make a larger quantity, I find it is better to make several small batches than to double up.
This chutney can be eaten fresh or will keep for 3-4 months unopened.