A relish with attitude! You can vary the hotness by altering the amount and type of chillies.
Ingredients for Chilli Pepper Relish:
- 2 large onions
- 2 large cooking apples
- 1 small cucumber
- 12 dried chillies
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) salt
- 8 oz (225 g) granulated white sugar or castor sugar
- ½ pint (285 ml) white vinegar
Method for Chilli Pepper Relish:
- Peel the cucumber and onions and finely chop. Peel, core and finely chop the apples.
- Put the cucumber, onions and apples into a bowl. Crush or finely chop the chillies and add to the bowl and mix the ingredients together.
- Mix the salt, sugar and vinegar in a large jug and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pack the vegetable mixture into dry, clean, sterilised jars without cooking.
- Pour the vinegar into the packed jars until full.
- Cover and seal.
Makes about 2 lbs (1.8 kg) of Chilli Pepper Relish. Best kept for 3 weeks before use.
More on Making Relish Preserves
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...
These articles on methods of making preserves cover both sweet preserves like fruit curds and savoury relishes and pickles. In our modern world with 24 hour shopping, cans in the cupboard and a deep freeze full of ready meals, it's hard to imagine...