An essential accompaniment for hot dogs. Also goes well with burgers.
Ingredients for Mustard Relish:
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg) cooking apples
- 1 lb (450 g) onions
- 2 pints (1.1 litre) vinegar
- 1 x 15ml (tablespoon) mustard seeds
- 2 x 5ml (teaspoons) dry mustard powder
- 8 oz (225 g) sultanas
- 1 lb (450 g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) salt
Method for Mustard Relish:
- Peel and core the apples and chop. Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Put the apples, onions and half of the vinegar in a pan. Tie the mustard seeds in a muslin bag and add to the pan.
- Cook on the hob until tender.
- Mix the dry mustard with the rest of the vinegar and add with the sultanas, sugar and salt to the pan.
- Stir until the sugar is dissolved and then simmer until thick.
- Remove the mustard seeds, pot into dry, clean, sterilised jars and cover.
Makes about 4 lbs (1.8 kg) of Mustard Relish. The flavour improves if kept for at least 6 weeks before using.
More on Making Relish Preserves
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...
These articles on methods of making preserves cover both sweet preserves like fruit curds and savoury relishes and pickles. In our modern world with 24 hour shopping, cans in the cupboard and a deep freeze full of ready meals, it's hard to imagine...