Ingredients for Beetroot, Cabbage and Horseradish Relish:
- 2 lbs (900 g) beetroot
- 2 lbs (900 g) white cabbage
- 2 ozs (56 g) horseradish
- 8 ozs (225 g) white sugar
- 1 pint (570 ml) white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) pepper
Method for Beetroot, Cabbage and Horseradish Relish:
- Wash the beetroot and cook until tender. Allow to cool a little and then peel and chop into small chunks.
- Core and shred the cabbage finely, wash and drain well.
- Peel and grate the horseradish and put into a pan with the beetroot, cabbage, and the remainder of the ingredients.
- Mix well, bring to the boil and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Pot into dry, warm, clean, sterilised jars and cover.
Makes about 4 lbs (1.8 kg) of relish. The amount of horseradish can be varied depending on whether you like it strong or mild. You can also use a tablespoon of dry mustard and cut back a bit on the pepper if you prefer.