An easy to make traditional bread pudding recipe. Makes 9 squares so should serve 9! Serve on its own or with custard or cream/ice cream.
Ingredients for Traditional Bread Pudding:
- 1 large unsliced white loaf
- ½ pint cold water
- 4oz butter
- 4oz soft dark brown sugar
- 2 tbs black treacle
- 6oz currants
- 6oz sultanas
- 6oz raisins
- 3oz minced chopped peel
- 3 eggs well beaten
- Finely grated rind of orange
- 2 tps Caster sugar
Method for Traditional Bread Pudding:
- Remove and discard the crusts from the bread then cut the hole loaf into small cubes.
- Put in a large mixing bowl with water and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water then add the remaining ingredients bar the caster sugar.
- Mix thoroughly then spoon into the prepared tin and spread evenly.
- Bake in the centre of the oven 190°C for 1 ½ hours until firm to touch.
- Remove bread pudding from the oven and carefully turn onto wire rack to cool.
- Sprinkle with the caster sugar.
- Cut into squares when cold.
There are dozens if not hundreds of variations on bread pudding with TV chefs all making their own versions. This Traditional Bread Pudding is a good standard to base your own recipe on.
Not bread pudding as I know it! Leave out orange and minced chopped peel. Yuck! My Mother would be turning in her grave.
This is very similar to my mother’s lovely bread pudding, the only differences being;
Soak the bread in milk, not water.
Leave out the orange rind and minced chopped peel and substitute a heaped tbsp of marmalade (with rind, not smooth marmalade).