Bara Brith, or Speckled Bread as it is sometimes known, is a traditional welsh recipe. Like many traditional recipes, it varies from village to village and farm to farm in the details.
Ingredients for Bara Brith:
- 10 oz mixed dried fruit
- 2/3 pt hot tea (no milk)
- 3 oz soft brown sugar
- 12 oz self raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 large egg
Method for Bara Brith:
- Soak the fruit in the hot tea, cover and leave overnight.
- Next day set oven at 175°C and grease a 2 lb loaf tin. Strain the fruit and reserve the liquid.
- Mix together the fruit with the other ingredients in the bowl, adding the reserved liquid a little at a time until a soft dropping consistency is achieved.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 45-55 minutes until risen and firm to the touch.
- Cool and serve sliced and buttered.
*Fruit and Ale Cake – If you prefer use ale instead of tea, (cover and leave to soak overnight if possible) following the recipe above.