If you have an over productive cucumber patch try this. I made it with surplus ridge cucumbers and red onions and we can’t stop eating it.
It makes 1 decent sized lunchbox full and is a really light pickle/tangy salad.
Ingredients for Sweet Cucumber Fridge Pickle:
- 1 kg cucumbers – thinly sliced
- 3 small onions – thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped dill – optional
- 250g granulated sugar
- 1 level tbsp salt
- 200ml cider vinegar
Method for Sweet Cucumber Fridge Pickle:
- Put the cucumber, onions and dill (if using) in a large bowl.
- Mix the sugar, salt and vinegar & pour over the vegetables – it will look dry at this stage
- Cover and leave overnight for the juice to run out of the cucumber – you should end up with enough liquid to cover the vegetables.
- Put vegetables and pickling liquid into a plastic tub with a lid and store in the fridge – it will keep for 2 weeks if you can leave it alone.
For More Information on Pickles