If you have an over productive cucumber patch try this. I made it with surplus ridge cucumbers and red onions and we can’t stop eating it.
It makes 1 decent sized lunchbox full and is a really light pickle/tangy salad.
Ingredients for Sweet Cucumber Fridge Pickle:
- 1 kg cucumbers – thinly sliced
- 3 small onions – thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped dill – optional
- 250g granulated sugar
- 1 level tbsp salt
- 200ml cider vinegar
Method for Sweet Cucumber Fridge Pickle:
- Put the cucumber, onions and dill (if using) in a large bowl.
- Mix the sugar, salt and vinegar & pour over the vegetables – it will look dry at this stage
- Cover and leave overnight for the juice to run out of the cucumber – you should end up with enough liquid to cover the vegetables.
- Put vegetables and pickling liquid into a plastic tub with a lid and store in the fridge – it will keep for 2 weeks if you can leave it alone.
For More Information on Pickles
Pickles - How to Make Pickles
Pickles can range from a simple single ingredient pickle to a complex mixed pickle like Piccalilli. The final flavour, especially with the simple pickles, will depend heavily on the vinegar used. See our article on Making Spiced & Flavoured Vinegars,...
Relishes - How to Make Relishes at Home
Relishes tend to be half way between a chutney and a pickle in that, though they use the same kinds of fruits and vegetables, the finished texture is different. The fruit or vegetables are cut into small pieces or coarsely chopped and a combination of...
I have just moved to Bulgaria and locals have given me lots of cucumbers
this has been great as a alternative to plain sliced and is great
Tried this for the first time yesterday and packed it away in the fridge today.
Very easy to make and tastes great, can’t wait now for something to actually eat it with.