Ingredients for Peas Pula Pilau:
- onion – fine long cut
- peas – 1 cup
- basmati rice – 1 cup
- bay leaves – 2
- cinnamon – 1
- cumin – 1 tsp
- turmeric – a little bit
- coriander seeds powder – 1 tsp
- chillies 2
- ginger half inch block
- garam masala – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp and salt for taste.
Method for Peas Pula Pilau:
- First soak the rice for 30 minutes and drain it.
- Crush ginger and chillies together in pestle and mortar (or by any means).
- Pour oil into pan (use a pan which has a proper lid) and when hot add cumin seeds.
- Add bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Toss it once and add onions, crushed ginger and chillies to it.
- Fry it until onions are soft and add turmeric. Give a toss and add peas, garam masala, coriander seeds powder. Give it a toss and add the rice and fry it for about two minutes.
- Add twice the amount of water to rice (2 cups) and salt and bring it to high flame. Cover with lid on first boil and cook for 5 minutes. After that turn the flame to minimum and leave it to cook for 10 more minutes (don’t open the lid) and switch off the flame.
- Leave the rice to rest for 15 minutes.
- Open the lid and fluff the rice with fork.
Serve with your favourite curry or green tomato dal or with cucumber raita.