This Broad Bean and Courgette Pilaf Recipe takes about ½ an hour to prepare, 30 mins to 1 hour to cook
Ingredients for Broad Bean and Courgette Pilaf:
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 50ml/2fl oz vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 10 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 cloves
- 225g/8oz basmati rice, soaked in water for 20 minutes and drained
- 200g/7oz broad beans
- 400ml/14fl oz vegetable stock
- 4 courgettes sliced into one inch pieces
- olive oil, for brushing
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50g/2oz butter
- chopped fresh parsley
- lemon juice
Method for Broad Bean and Courgette Pilaf:
- Heat a dry frying pan and add the cumin and coriander seeds. Fry over a medium heat, moving the spices around the pan frequently to prevent them from burning, for 2-3 minutes, or until aromatic and lightly browned. Transfer to a mortar and grind with a pestle.
- In a pan, heat the vegetable oil and fry the onion and garlic over a medium-low heat for 6-8 minutes, or until softened. Add the ground toasted spices, the cinnamon stick, ground turmeric, cardamom pods and cloves and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice, broad beans and stock, cover the pan with a lid and cook over a low heat for 12-15 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan until smoking. Brush the courgettes with the olive oil, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then cook on the griddle for 2-3 minutes on both sides, or until charred and softened. Set aside.
- To serve, stir the butter into the pilaf until melted, then spoon into serving bowls and top with the griddled courgette pieces.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, a squeeze of lemon juice and a dollop of yoghurt.